Finding talent specialized in extremely specific areas or in areas that have emerging high demand is one of the biggest challenges that companies are currently facing. What’s more, according to a study of global trends in labor talent conducted by Mercer, 79% of HR executives believe freelancers will increase their involvement in the labor force in the near future.
During the first few months of 2020, we witnessed how this situation only intensified, which made it clear that the market was facing times of sink or swim. That’s why it’s important to keep in mind that as a freelancer, you’re navigating your career in a market full of opportunities that’s also highly competitive.
It’s a VUCA environment (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, and Ambiguous), and in order to stay competitive and continue getting hired for more interesting, specialized, and better paying projects, you have to continuously sharpen your skills.
Are you a Digital Marketing Freelancer? We have thousands of projects for you to work on. Please sign up here.
According to our 2019 Independent Labor Report, 72% of freelance talent trains through digital platforms and e-learning, which is why we’re sharing a list of 10 platforms you can use to help you gain the skills you need to stay competitive in your industry. Some of them even have free options!
10 Platforms To Help You Become a More Qualified Freelancer
- Udemy: Udemy offers over 5000 courses organized by the most relevant categories in the freelance world like programming, design, and marketing. The courses aren’t free, but there are plenty of reasonably-priced options, and they offer promotions frequently.
- Udacity: Udacity’s current focus is training professionals in high-level technical skills that companies are looking for. They offer complete training programs in programming, development, AI, business, machine learning, and data science. Most courses do come at a price, but there are a few free courses as well.
- Edx: In partnership with the most prestigious universities in the world like Harvard and MIT, Edx offers courses in informatics, data science, languages, business administration, and even humanities. One of its biggest advantages is that many courses have free options, and you only pay if you need a certification.
- Coursera: Coursera is one of the most popular online learning platforms where you can find specialized courses to help you strengthen your freelancer profile as well as complete programs so you can train to be an expert in fields like programming, data science, business, engineering, and languages. A few universities offer full master’s degrees through this site.
- Garage Digital (Google): Run by the search engine that’s become a verb, Garage Digital is Google’s online learning center. All of their courses are free, (although a few advanced courses have a certificate cost) and they’re generally designed for you to become a master in digital marketing and using Google tools. A lot of the courses will help you increase the value of your profile as a freelancer, while others are more focused on quality of life.
- Blue Print (Facebook): Similar to Garage Digital but specialized in Facebook App marketing and promotion tools (which include Instagram and WhatsApp!)This platform is perfect for freelancers who are specialized in community management.
- Platzi: Platzi offers courses in programming, design, marketing, startups, video, web, and more. Its value proposition lies in allowing you to create personalized programs according to the professional profile that you want to develop, or even if you want to launch your own venture or startup. Instead of charging per course, Platzi offers memberships that give you access to all of their programs.
- LinkedIn Learning: In this Linkedin website you will find video courses taught by industry experts in software, creative, and business skills. It was originally founded in 1995 by Lynda Weinman as Lynda.com and then acquired by LinkedIn in 2015. It’s a great option to get your diplomas and certificates, and add them directly to your Linkedin profile.
- Codecademy: If you are a developer probably you’ve heard about Codecademy. If you are still in the process of becoming one: you’re in the right place! Codecademy is an online platform that offers free coding classes in 12 different programming languages. Also, Codecademy wants to help you learn fast and to complete each course, so in the process you’ll win points, gamify your learning and get all the support from a group of peers.
- Iversity: Iversity is a Berlin-based online education platform. It’s main core is providing online courses and lectures in higher education, specifically MOOCs. You can take any course you like, it’s free and open worldwide. Keep in mind some courses may not be in every language!
And speaking of continuous learning, remember that no matter what area you specialize in, if you work remotely, you’ll want to check out these essential digital marketing strategies and smart investments for your freelance lifestyle. Read more about them on our blog!
At Workana, we need Digital Marketing Freelancers for our projects. Please sign up here to get personally recommended to freelancing projects.
Constant training is fundamental to achieving your goals as a freelancer. Remember; you’re navigating your career in an environment that’s constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay ahead of the curve.
With all the free, high-quality resources at your fingertips, there’s no excuse! Invest in yourself by setting aside five or six hours a week to learn something new and keep up with the latest trends in your industry. Don’t forget to update your Workana profile when you sharpen these newly-acquired skills so you can access more, better projects!
You might also be interested in:
- Freelancer Guide: 30 great ideas to work from home as a professional
- Workana HERO 101 Guide: How do I become one of the best freelancers?
- Personal marketing and freelancing (part I): This is how you get your first clients in Workana
- Personal marketing and freelancing (part II): This is how you get your best clients and keep growing
- Digital House and Workana: Education for the future of work
- How to price projects and why it’s important to value the work itself
- Increase the Percentage of Projects That You’re Hired For: Secrets Revealed
- How to manage more projects without missing any deadlines
Attention Digital Marketing Freelancers! We are looking for you to want to recommend you to our clients at Workana. Sign up here to get started.